The mission of the Freeport Farmers’ Market is to provide a venue where youth obtain summer employment selling produce for local farmers and where crafters and artisans come together to provide a variety of fresh produce and related products directly to the community. We will accomplished this mission by providing a marketplace that fosters social gathering and community building, and promotes healthy food choices.
Our mission’s guiding principles are:
- To build community by providing a regular gathering place for our residence and visitors to shop and enjoy entertainment.
- To provide an “on the job” entrepreneurial training program for the youth in the community, paying high school students an hourly wage to run the market under the supervision of a market manager, where they will learn the basics of business, customer service, nutrition and local agriculture.
- To host a “Seed to Table” program where elementary and secondary students learn about fruits and vegetables while they grow a community garden and sell their produce at the farmers market.
- To support the environment, the economy, and human health by reducing the distance between the source of food and the consumer of that food.
- To support the performing arts by providing a weekly entertainment venue.
- To support our local businesses by attracting residence and visitors to the community.
- To actively support children and their overall well-being by incorporating kid-friendly activities during the market.